[closed] Ideas / Proposal For Engraved Nameplates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat T

Hello,
I have a requirement to cut out and engrave a batch of thin foil plates. These will be fastened onto a small 3U (100mmx100mmx300mm) CubeSat satellite which is scheduled to launch the end of the year. With this configuration space is extremely limited and we have been allocated 5mm x 40mmx53mm. Material is specified to be un-plated aluminum. The configuration I see is to work with 10 foil (0.5mm) sheets front and back. These will then be stacked and fastened on one of the sheer panels of the satellite. Durability and quality of the text doesn't have to be perfect but it should be legible for a photo prior to installation.

The attached pdf shows a proposed text height but smaller is better so that we can fit on more names. I am looking for any ideas or (even better) quotes on achieving this task. Unfortunately time is getting short on this project since we have been waiting as long as possible to get the most sponsors. The satellite is scheduled for thermal and vibe testing mid to late May and must be complete to be a valid test.

I really appreciate any quotes or advice on this task.
-Pat

Attachments

• Engraved-Plates-3D-24-06397 - V2.pdf
    28.2 KB · Views: 29
Pat,

In the PDF it states that this material may be anodized. This would be the way to go. Anodize the AL Black, and laser etch. We have the capability of laser etching anodized AL here. However, never on such thin material. I am going to forward your pdf and paragraph to the guy that does the etching in our shop and see what his thoughts on the matter are. Would you be supplying this material? What are the exact specifications of the material? From what I understand they want one placard engraved with 9 seperate blank sheets to stack and fasten on the sheer panels? Or, do they want all 10 engraved and stacked. I am slightly confused. Please elaborate.

Thanks, Josh

Below in the link is an image of a laser etching test on Black Anodized Aluminum. 0.035" Thick

https://goo.gl/photos/j6puDcWeAoR9ZsdAA

Pat T

Thanks for the advice on anodizing. I am checking with the systems engineer to verify we can indeed use a colored anodizing but I suspect it will be no problem as long as there are no additional films or outgassing materials.

The need for 10 plates is to get as much surface area as possible since we have 200+ names along with a logo or two. They will be 10 uniquely engraved plates with different artwork on front and back for a total of 20 uniquely engraved surfaces. We should be able to provide artwork in a convenient format for your system (Gerber, dxf, dwg or ??)

I would imagine the process would be to engrave one full panel surface along with a couple fiducial references then flip with a fiducial alignment. Then engrave the second surface and cutout individual plates.

We can source the material if that is preferable. Most anodized foil I have found is only coated on one side so we may need to take bare sheets and have them plated. Exact material specs are not critical if you have a preferred grade of aluminum.

Yes, large sheets are anodized on one side only from sheet metal suppliers. These would have to be cut down, Possibly into the exact pieces first (with the holes cut out as well etc.) Then sent to a shop that does anodizing. After all sides are anodized, then we would place it in a plastic Jig that we would create and let the laser etch off the anodized parts to reveal the names. It is the end of the day for me. If you would like me to look into giving you a quote I would be willing to do so. 0.5 mm is 0.1963 something inches thick. I have not purchased this material before, but I can search around tomorrow. I can also look into outsourcing the Anodizing as well and provide you with a full quote, or half quote (Just the etching). Whichever you like. My e-mail is JoshuaDruzak@DukaneRadiator.com

Status
Not open for further replies.