Elliptical tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

m052172

I am trying to make elliptical (in cross-section) rubber tubes that spiral once or twice around their long axis. The tubes will be about six feet long and an inch and a half in diameter. In order to make these tubes, I plan to make molds out of a material and then pour the rubber into the tube molds. The material for the molds is not really an issue, apart from the need to have a very smooth surface on the mold, and the material must be easy to machine.

To make machining possible, I think it is necessary to split the mold in half along the long axis, and depending on the size of the milling machine, it might also be necessary to cut the mold once or twice down the length (into 3 or 2 foot sections and then pin the parts of the mold together prior to pouring the rubber).

Price is not as big of an issue as is time, and I would want the molds to be finished by two weeks after the order date. Initially, two molds would be requested, and potentially many more after that.

Please reply to me, David, directly over email (def@mit.edu), or phone 410-570-7732. I can send SolidWorks files of the mold.

Attachments

• good helix mold.jpg
    good helix mold.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 49
  • helix1.jpg
    helix1.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.