Most common steel sizes (plates, tubing)

jimmyray

I am working on changing a machine design from metric to US standard; however, I am vague on what sizes are harder to find than others.

Ive been told the 5/16" thick plates Ive been using are tough to find, to replace the 8mm thick plates currently used. Same for the 5/8" plates to replace the 15mm plates. Also, when I use tubing (say, 5"x3") and the thickness is 8mm or 15mm, I've been using 5/16" or 5/8" respectively again.

Are these sizes uncommon? Is it mostly 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4" that I should be using?

Cost is an issue in getting this project greenlit, but I'm also worried about everything fitting together, and adding too much weight on the motors by changing size.

patriqq

No, not uncommon.

We buy 5/16" and 5/8" mild steel plates all the time. Usually 4' x 8' or 4' x 10'. The 5/16" always comes in as CR or HRP&O. The 5/8" always comes in as HR.

maxgreatt

These are the common sizes. Is it mostly 1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", and 3/4"!
Sometimes also seen in some other size 5/16" and 5/8" steel plates.
Usually 4' x 8' or 4' x 10' are used.
The 5/16" is used in as CR or HRP&O and 5/8" always comes in as HR.

maxpaayne

If so, then note that Ryerson shows in their catalog for Carbon Steel tube 3" O.D.x5/16 wall in DOM welded, 3" O.D.x5/8 wall in CD seamless and 5" O.D.x5/16 or 5/8 wall in DOM welded. In 4140 2-1/8" O.D. to 4-1/2" O.D.x5/8 wall.

eliaslyn

If so, how best to do is check with the suppliers. availability of HSS wall thickness can vary by region. With rectangular HSS, which are 5/16" thick-walled eccentric with 1/4" and 3/8" is common. We never use anything beyond 1/2" can not say no 5/8".