Request For Quote- Three simple milled parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

amasters

Thermo_man
I have three simple Alum block parts that I need made.

Material: Al 6061 or equiv. Material supplied by vendor.
Qty: please quote 10, 25, 50 and 100 pieces of each part.
Time frame: 3-5 days for bids, two weeks after that for parts.

As always, if you see something that could be changed to improve part cost or machining time, then please let me know. I am open to suggestions.

You can contact me if you have any questions.

Andy
amasters(at)customthermoelectric.com

Attachments

• CP-2.0-1.0-AL-01.pdf
    39.4 KB · Views: 285
  • CP-2.0-2.0-AL-01.pdf
    39.5 KB · Views: 184
  • CP-2.0-2.0-AL-02.pdf
    39.7 KB · Views: 174

amasters

Thermo_man
This job has been awarded - Thank you

Thanks to everyone who sent quotes.

I have awarded this job.

Thank you again.

I will be posting some similar parts in the near future.

Andy

captainDL

Quotation Stats

Could you give us a general rundown on quotes like with you last RFQ? I think everyone would appreciate this info. Nothing specific just general info. Thank You
Dan

amasters

Thermo_man
OK, Here are the stats on the quotes received...

8 bids received

The quote ranges are given from min to max and the average is listed underneath in parentheses.

Code:
Part#                10pcs             25pcs            50pcs           100pcs
CP-1-2-.12        $2.65-21.50       $2.15-20.80       $1.15-20.60    $0.90-20.40
                   ($11.91)           ($7.70)          ($6.32)         ($5.55)

CP-2-2-.12        $2.75-23.50       $2.25-22.80       $1.25-22.70    $1.00-22.50
                   ($12.67)           ($8.29)          ($7.03)         ($6.17)

CP-2-2-.25        $3.00-28.00       $2.50-23.00       $1.50-22.90    $1.25-22.40
                   ($13.88)           ($9.96)          ($8.30)         ($6.96)

Do you want me to give summaries like the above from now on?

Andy

captainDL

Thank You for posting. I like this kind of feedback to evaluate my quoting process.

Best Regards,

Daniel Luebke

Dualkit

wow these people must be hurting for work and willing to do the work at cost or have a machine shop in a garage they live in.

Got to pick your battles, to me this had don't waste your time written all over it.
I have a way I can do them fast that other people probably didn't think of, but since I use domestic aluminum my material cost would have been 50 cents each.
I could have spit them out at probably at 75 seconds a piece and I still would have been too high. Anyone could do these so I am sure there were a boat load of bidders, which I am sure one did not charge for material for whatever reason. You will eventually pass on the ones that anybody with a saw and junky
mill can do.

Thanks to the rfq poster for listing the bids, it is a big help!

captainDL

I guess posting the summary was a bad idea because somehow it's started a pissing match about undercutting and all I wanted was to see if my numbers were out of line. I didn't win the job and was underbid by quite a bit, but I know I couldn't possibly afford to do the job for less. Anyone who does isn't going to be in business for long. Not doing jobs for a couple dollars over material cost. You win some, you lose some. Thank you to amasters for posting the numbers. I, personally, really do appreciate the info.

Dan Luebke

CustomMachining

Some of those prices dont even make sense! and the average is all f__ed up because of the low ballers. I dont understand how a machinist who is supposed to be able to do simple math could come up with those prices. Unless they have slaves chained to there bridgeport! LOL!!!

Dualkit

I do not mind not be able to compete with people who have lower overhead as long as they are operating in a legal and moral manner. There are obviously guys on here that lower their overhead by theft, those are the ones I resent.
I personally met a guy who used to bid on internet forums that had more money in perishable tooling that he had in equipment. A guy with one mill, a lathe and a bandsaw, and $20,000 of perishable tooling obviously "borrows" heavily from his day job. Anything that has a high perishable tooling cost associated with a job will not be won by an honest operator. I no bid those, another no bid is a high material cost, low quantity, simple parts. If the part is a few dozen holes in a $150 piece of tooling plate, don't waste your time. A $150 tooling plate will walk off somewhere. Actual case, a tooling plate job went for $125 on another site, the material cost $150. In closing I have no problem getting under bid by a guy who rents a garage and sleeps in it as long as he BUYS his materials and tooling, I do not like competing against thieves and there are a lot of them out there.

Dualkit

Some of those prices dont even make sense! and the average is all f__ed up because of the low ballers. I dont understand how a machinist who is supposed to be able to do simple math could come up with those prices. Unless they have slaves chained to there bridgeport! LOL!!!

Another thing to consider, some of these bids are left open for weeks. The economy for us is terrible and we are not showing signs of any improvement in our sector. Leave one of these open for a few weeks and we are talking 50-100 bidders or more. With that high a volume someone is bound to make a math error. You just joined, you are seeing the worst this place has to offer. I started bidding on places like here 2 years ago. Then you could bid machine time at $60 an hour and have a fighting chance, now that number is around $15 an hour, and sinking by the day. I only bid bar fed high quantity no tooling cost materials (aluminum, plastic, brass etc) I can still get those in the $30 an hour neighborhood.

Sir,
just because I have lower overhead doesnt mean Im undercutting or under bidding it just means I CAN do it cheaper. And Ive also seen those guys who rob their dayshop blind to tool up their homeshop, they dont last long in my day job due to a vendor supplied tool check out system that you know who got what and when and you know in a minute who's either stealing or too damn dumb to run a machine. And in Texas we dont use slaves, we have illegal imigrants to work like that

eaglegage

HAHA! That's hilarious! I actually laughed out loud on that one. I really hate low ball bidding but that was a very funny (and true) reply. With the way things are, I guess I better laugh rather than cry.

submachine

It's very interesting to read all these posts. People think some are too high, others think there are lowballers, but in essence it all boils down to basic supply and demand.

Before owning my CNC machine shop, I went to college for business management. One of the basic principles of economics we learned is supply and demand. For those of you that are not familiar with the forces of supply and demand, Read this page, completely. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

As the demand decreases, and there is an excess of supply, prices naturally fall. It's the nature of the beast. As prices fall too far, suppliers leave the market. When it's profitable again, suppliers enter the market.

Unfortunately for manufacturers (suppliers of machining services) there is a gut of capacity, especially here in the Detroit area where I am located. We have seen an inordinate number of shops close their doors. The yellow for lease signs are everywhere.

I know many shops that have an excess of material on the floor. The material is already expensed, leftover from full bar purchases on previous jobs, bought at auction, etc. To quote a job lower than "standard" rates in no way means every shop is a moonlighter stealing tooling. Come on, really now.

I've tried to outsource work to some other folks a few times and I've gotten back some laughable numbers. Seems some people try and hit the lotto with every job, instead of taking a true look at what the part is worth and quoting accordingly.

That's just my 2 cents after lurking here for a couple of weeks.

Brian

Y's Engineering

Quite enlitening!

I really enjoy this site for just this purpose. Like all web based, non-threatening, non-contact, non-accountable there are a few of the dog pound old maid rejects, but then there is even something to be leaned from them!

Thank you very much for posting the results, don't let them get you down!

Noel Simmons
Y's Engineering LLC
Lewistown MT
406 535 4776

Status
Not open for further replies.