Turning and assembly work, Wisconsin or NW area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahren

I have a need for some turning and assembly work in putting together a spur gear and timing pulley assembly. I currently have a supplier who does this, but he does not have the best equipment for it and has more work than he can handle, so I am looking for someone who can turn these parts quickly.

Job is to do the following:

1) Cut off and face ~1/2" length of aluminum pulley stock (GT 3mm, 60 tooth).
2) Cut off and face ~3/4" length of steel spur gear stock (20 tooth, 20 DP)
3) Bore both for 5/8" bronze bushing and insert bushing through both
4) Cross drill both for two 3/32" spring pins to constrain rotationally (I'm open to other options, keying etc.)

I will supply material. Iinital quantity is 60, with likely follow on work every 3 months for ~100-200. I am very interested in finding a shop close to Grafton Wisconsin (close to my supplier of pulley and gear stock) or in the Pacific Northwest (close to me in Seattle).

If interested, provide me a rough quote for this kind of work, your location, and what kind of equipment you plan to use. I can send precise drawings once I narrow the field. I'll select a supplier in the next 5 business days.

If you're reading this after Nov 6, it has probably been awarded.

Thanks,

Ahren Johnson

ahren

My mistake in the last post -- I said if you're reading this after Nov 6, it has been awarded. I meant to say after Dec. 6. Sorry :)

Also, as another note, the material I will provide will be in bar form, and will likely come in 6 foot bars for both the pulley and gear stock.

Best regards,

Ahren Johnson

ahren

One more thing -- please let me know if you can read Solidworks 2009 files, or require 2D drawings when replying. I prefer to communicate in 3D if possible -- it clears up a lot of misunderstanding.

Also, I have emptied my mailbox on RFQWork, so there should be room for more replies -- sorry for those who got the "mailbox full" message. You can also email me directly at ahrenkj AT yahoo DOT com.

Thanks,

Ahren Johnson

ahren

Pictures and EASM's

All,

Below are pictures of the assembly. An e-assembly of the file is located here (right click and save as):

http://www.cncrouterparts.com/cad/easm/Drive_Spindle.EASM

The free easm viewer with dimensioning capability is available here, so you can grab whatever dimensions you are interested in:

http://www.edrawingsviewer.com/pages/products/SolidWorks-Viewer.html

A couple of further notes:

1) The brown part in the middle is the bushing. In the picture and EASM, this is shown using a 0.75" bushing that is below the counterbore in the spur gear stock. Ideally (for strength), a 1" bushing would be used, and would be cut to match the depth of the pulley and gear, all the way up to the counterbore (total length of 0.975"). I need this shorter than 1", as this whole assembly rotates on a 1" long by 1/2" diameter shoulder bolt.

2) The picture from the back side shows the 3/32 dowel pins that pin the gear and pulley rotationally. This works fine, but if you'd rather do a small keyway between the pulley and gear, that is also acceptable. I'm open to other ways to constrain these parts together rotationally. The bushing does not need to be part of this key -- there is no real torque applied to it, so just the friction from the press fit will be fine.

3) Since the whole assembly needs to spin cleanly on a 1/2" diameter shoulder bolt, the assembly may need to be reamed after assembly (they are right now). I can send shoulder bolts for fit check to the winning bidder.

Thanks!

Ahren

Attachments

• drive spindle1.jpg
    drive spindle1.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 63
  • drive spindle2.jpg
    drive spindle2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 56

HJH

Ahren J.

If this opportunity is still out I am located close to Iss. WA and would like an opportunity to quote your work. Is it possible to get more detailed drawings or we can meet?
All the best, Henry

Status
Not open for further replies.