150 pcs steel spacers

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobk

Hello,
I'm posting this for a quote only at this point. I need to get an idea of manufacturing cost. This part is only 1 of 4 that will be needed. Quote quantity of 150 pcs. The material will be 1.750 O.D. and 1.0 I.D DOM 1045 or 1018 steel. The length is .875 +/- .010, .045 chamfers. The mill finish for the O.D. and I.D. of the DOM will be good enough. This part will get fixtured and welded then remachined thru the I.D. for finish. All dimensions are in inches.

Thank you for your time!

bobk

I provided information via PM twice - I'm still awaiting some sort of a reply.

In my original post I requested quotes, you did not provide a quote. I can appreciate your quest to find work for your school, however I,m not interested in spending alot of time seeing if a school can undercut the competition. Thanks!

deanrach

Ouch! No, really OUCH!

Let me make my intentions really clear here - I'm in no way trying to compete with anyone. I'm very sensitive when it comes to this topic and to the contrary, very suppotive of private business. As I explained, I'm a Machine Tool Instructor trying to obtain a little "live" work for my students, on a cost of materials basis only! I realize this is difficult for anyone to compete with, if in fact I was trying to compete. Instead, I'm trying to have a positive impact on tomorrow's machinist. Enough said!

Respectfully submitted,

Dualkit

Let me make my intentions really clear here - I'm in no way trying to compete with anyone. I'm very sensitive when it comes to this topic and to the contrary, very suppotive of private business. As I explained, I'm a Machine Tool Instructor trying to obtain a little "live" work for my students, on a cost of materials basis only! I realize this is difficult for anyone to compete with, if in fact I was trying to compete. Instead, I'm trying to have a positive impact on tomorrow's machinist. Enough said!

Respectfully submitted,

Thank you Bob for your support. First we have to compete with China with low wages, now we almost had to compete with a no wage shop! As for the teacher
I would suggest you trying to get a relationship going with some of the inventors that surface in here that need to pay mass produced prices for one offs, their projects never get done, maybe you can help them.

First of all I think maybe it is possible that you all are mis understanding the Dean. Do you think his students with little to no experience can make a part quickly? Most Community College programs look for a way to give the students some real world experience. I went to college and work in the NASA machine shop as an intern. I also worked in a job shop for 6 months as an intern as part of my program. I became a NASA certified machinist in 1979 and 2 college degrees to accompany that. I don't think you realize he is just tring to get experience for our USA machinist to be. These are the guys you will be hiring. That is where I hire my guys from the community college programs. They are not garage machinists. They have bonified skill sets. Don't add to our work going to China. Keep training our manufacturing crews here and build relationships with the teachers. It is one way to get good skills from someone with no experience. Give them a shot. Who gave you your shot? Some guy in China? Participate and don't feel threatened. I have good skills in my shop for a fair wage and that keeps my quotes below the DOMESTIC average while employing US workers. Let's keep our country manufacturing. Who's fault is it now? I am not reall looking for a firestorm of BS responses to this comment. Get it right folks.

Dualkit

You should be able to get these for around $1.45ea. If you need them let me know.

Randy Justice
www.ultimatetool.us

You seem to have a well equipped shop, the fact that you would only bid $.85
labor on these parts is pretty scary, not much profit if you burn tools trying to
haul ass to get a decent hourly return at that price. Just a thought to all the quoters out there, posting prices in the open creates a reverse auction. I have meet people that will blindly undercut a posted price with out even crunching
their own numbers, this quote is old and probably been filled, but if it was currently active, I would bet you lunch that someone would quote $1.40 or less after seeing your post. I believe in the RFQ poster getting a fair price but
we are starting to under cut the Chinese in the USA and that is not sustainable.

justice25

Ultimate Tool & Die Inc.
You seem to have a well equipped shop, the fact that you would only bid $.85
labor on these parts is pretty scary, not much profit if you burn tools trying to
haul ass to get a decent hourly return at that price. Just a thought to all the quoters out there, posting prices in the open creates a reverse auction. I have meet people that will blindly undercut a posted price with out even crunching
their own numbers, this quote is old and probably been filled, but if it was currently active, I would bet you lunch that someone would quote $1.40 or less after seeing your post. I believe in the RFQ poster getting a fair price but
we are starting to under cut the Chinese in the USA and that is not sustainable.
We have Multiple CNC Machines and I run the Wire EDM and I also run a Haas TL2 Tool room lathe while the EDM is running so I am able to run parts on it cheaply as we are all family here. The gentlemen was just wanting a price on spacers from the tubing with no ID or OD cut with 45 chamfers, this is something I can run 100% with a cutoff blade on our hass, should get 50-60 an hour this way and while the edm is running so I will be producing parts on 2 machines both over shop rate. As for posting prices on here, I normally bid jobs with PM's, but this guy was just looking for what these should go for so I am not worried about someone underbidding this one. I am sorry if you are taking my price the wrong way, but we multi task at our shop to maintain business, normally we have 9 machines going with only 4 machinist and a button pusher, but that is our company, I do not speak for others.

justice25

Ultimate Tool & Die Inc.
then let him do them if he needs the work, I was just letting the guy know a price, I figured he was not ordering them and was just wanting to know what they should cost. Any real RFQ's I do not post the price, but hey lets let it go because it is obvious this is yet another lost RFQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.