Request For Quote- bicycle chain tensioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadocherokee

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and new to CNC milling in general so forgive any ignorance on my part.

I'm interested in having two simple parts made for my bike. These parts will be used as chain tensioners on the back wheel of my bike, one on each side holding the axle straight in the dropouts simultaneously keeping the axle from turning. The two parts would be identical, only mirror images of each other. I drew a prototype in AutoCAD but still need to verify a few things before I am ready to have this milled. However, all of the basic shapes and compents are there. Also trying to decide if the cost will be worth it.

I would like it built out of stainless steel (or any metal that won't rust for that matter) with enough strength to take compression forces of 30-45 Nm. I am assuming that the entire part could be milled on a CNC machine, except for a tapped hole on the short side (the specifics of which I am still trying to verify and might need some guidance). See the drawing for more info. I am trying to do this as cheap as possible so any suggestions you have would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• Final Design_1.dxf
    184.2 KB · Views: 208

LeftCoastCNC

You might consider using aluminum for this part since it is nearly 1/3 the weight of SS. Additionally, stainless is much more time consuming to machine making your part more expensive.

The tapped hole is not a problem on a CNC mill but you have some internal square corners that can not be milled as they are shown. There has to be a radius in the corners of the square hole and in the other hole where the flats meet the radius. In very general terms try to make internal radii no smaller than .065" so at minimum a 1/8" diameter tool can be used (the larger the radius the better from a milling stand point).

The part *can* be made as you have it drawn but the square corner features require a Wire EDM, Water Jet, Laser, or Broach, which can add cost to your part.

Status
Not open for further replies.