Custom-Made Support Post for Wolfcraft 3408

Status
Not open for further replies.

skyhawk

I need one part manually machined. I want to replace the original, factory-made support post for my Wolfcraft 3408 Universal Drill Press Stand with a custom-made support post that will enable increased chuck-to-base clearance and improved lateral (side-to-side) stabilization for the drill press head. The custom-made support post will essentially be a shaft with full-length keyway. The keyway will be sized to accomodate the 3408's threaded Adjustment Handle, metric 10 mm. See 3408.pdf here:

www.wolfcraft.com/pdf/3408-COMPRESSED.pdf

Due to cost considerations, I am unable to order this part from a commercial machine shop. This is a good project for someone who does machine work on-the-side, or for a home hobbyist, who wants to make a few extra dollars. A milling machine and drill press will be needed, as well as a metal lathe, if non-metric stock is used for the shaft.

Specifications are as follows:

Material: carbon steel (shaft-grade, straight, uniform diameter)
Shaft Length: 2-ft.
Shaft Diameter: 25 mm (metric)
Keyway Width: 0.400-inch
Keyway Depth: 0.125-inch

Additionally, I would like a flat-bottomed hole (0.400-inch diameter, depth 0.125-inch, non-threaded) bored into the keyway 4.250 inches from one end. This hole will act as a stop, so that the drill press head can be clamped securely to the top end of the support post. I can then vary the height of the work table (a second base, which I will be buying), so that, when I wish, the Wolfcraft 3408 can function as a true miniature drill press.

I do not want to pay more than $50 for this part, to include machining charges and return shipping. I can provide the needed length of shafting, if necessary: 1045 carbon steel, turned, ground, and polished (25 mm diameter), which will most probably be ordered from Keystone Manufacturing, Rochester, PA, and can be shipped direct for machining. If you prefer to supply the shafting material, additional compensation will be included in my payment.

This is not a high priority item. No hurry.

skyhawk

tolerance? I might be able to oblige. Its just that 24" length of keyway with a 16" movement on full size BP table makes that kinda tricky for a machinist with less than say 60" long table.

An RFQWork.com member has replied and says he can machine the part I need. Thanks, however, for taking time to respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.