Request For Quote- Decorative aluminum caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortyonethirty

I have attached a sketchup drawing and a picture of the parts i need turned. The dimensions on the decorative section are not critical and should be estimated for the purpose of a quote. Material to be aluminum, a specific alloy is not specified, any commonly used grade should work. I need 40 of each part. Please send quotes to me as a private message through this forum.

sketchup file can be downloaded here: http://www.deluxehandrails.com/decorativecaps1.skp

Attachments

• decorativecaps..jpg
    decorativecaps..jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 50

Dualkit

You probably should specify either USA or European type aluminum if you want them to look nice, Chinese is up to $1 a pound cheaper but is gummy and can produce a torn finish. Most material suppliers will give you Chinese. 6061 is more moisture resistant than 7075, but will appear duller unless polished, 7075 will finish shiny but is prone to gray spotting if it is exposed to moisture. Your best bang for the buck would be domestic 6061 buffed with scotchbrite to a uniformed matte finish. I think you need to specify material type and finished appearance, or provide a picture of an aluminum item that has the look you desire.

dre

Hello Im based out of Okc.,Ok I have a fully operational machine shop,and price wise also quality work is what we do. at the present time we are looking for work,i have several machines open.Please email me at rapidcncmachine@yahoo.com my number is 405 371 5291

fortyonethirty

The only cad model i have is the sketchup model. If you don't use sketchup yet, you will soon. In the mean time i've done a 2d drawing.

Attachments

• decorativecapspa&#114.jpg
    decorativecapspa&#114.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 16
  • decorativecapspa&#114.jpg
    decorativecapspa&#114.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 19

fortyonethirty

Change in design.

I have consulted with a couple bidders. And have decided to make some small changes in the design, hopefully they will lower the prices. And I have a few more specifications to hopefully lower the guess work by anyone who wants to bid this project.

Material to be 6061-t6.

The outside diameter has been decreased to ensure that any surface imperfections in the 2.500" bar stock will be removed.

The caps are intended to be end caps that fit inside an aluminum tube, tube size is 2" outside diameter .065 wall thickness, the threaded cap is glued in and the other cap has an o-ring groove so it is removable.

The tubes will have a sharp edge in the inside on the glued in portion, so a fillet should be cut at the base of the mating surface to ensure that the tube sits flat on the rim.

The diameter of the mating surface of the glued in cap and the dimensions of o-ring groove are the only dimensions that should have tight tolerances, all other dimensions are not critical.

A smooth, visually attractive finish on everything above the mating surface is important. The finish on the flat end is not important, and whatever the parting tool leaves should be fine.

The finished product will be handled by consumers, so all sharp edges should be beveled or radiused.

Please send quotes by personal message through this forum.

Thank you for quoting, fortyonethirty

Attachments

• part1render..jpg
    part1render..jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 9
  • part1dim..jpg
    part1dim..jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 12
  • part2render..jpg
    part2render..jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 9
  • part2dim..jpg
    part2dim..jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 11

dre

what is your email, i can send you a quote
I have consulted with a couple bidders. And have decided to make some small changes in the design, hopefully they will lower the prices. And I have a few more specifications to hopefully lower the guess work by anyone who wants to bid this project.

Material to be 6061-t6.

The outside diameter has been decreased to ensure that any surface imperfections in the 2.500" bar stock will be removed.

The caps are intended to be end caps that fit inside an aluminum tube, tube size is 2" outside diameter .065 wall thickness, the threaded cap is glued in and the other cap has an o-ring groove so it is removable.

The tubes will have a sharp edge in the inside on the glued in portion, so a fillet should be cut at the base of the mating surface to ensure that the tube sits flat on the rim.

The diameter of the mating surface of the glued in cap and the dimensions of o-ring groove are the only dimensions that should have tight tolerances, all other dimensions are not critical.

A smooth, visually attractive finish on everything above the mating surface is important. The finish on the flat end is not important, and whatever the parting tool leaves should be fine.

The finished product will be handled by consumers, so all sharp edges should be beveled or radiused.

Please send quotes by personal message through this forum.

Thank you for quoting, fortyonethirty

Dualkit

I usually don't bother with these jobs as these types go so cheap. What kind of bids are you getting, that requires working with people to get a price decrease? You can carve up 6061 at 100 mph. If you using good grade 6061 (Not Chinese) your looking at $3.00 or so for blanks. Charging a good shop rate they should be around $10 each, are you trying to get them for $5? For the record I have not bid.

Status
Not open for further replies.