Quick Quote Needed Does anyone ever get some real work from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solidworks4you

Most of the jobs that appear on here seem too small and too local (they want someone from around the neck of the woods) to quote. Otherwise, like you said the sales people just post it to see how much a job would cost.

There are quite of few quotes though that makes me wonder how the shops even manage to stay in business

Got Plastic Injection Molding Needs? Visit us!
http://www.isotronixdevices.com/home.html

Microshaped

I have only got few jobs off this site I my self am a new shop (few Months) I get my work the old fashion way Door to Door but I also keep a job on the side for cushion

BobCast0865

I am guessing that a lot of this work is going to backyard shops with the owner doing the work himself after hours. I do have knowledge of one local shop who has built most of his customer base from repeat customers acquired at sites such as this. (not the free sites though)

In our case ; I am quoting jobs in the hope of picking up some new customers . No luck yet though.

old machininst

Ok I'm an old timer in this forum 1 of the first to venture into these digs, you wouldn't know it by my new user name though.
What we discovered was this forum was being used kind of like a back-door for work from some of the biggest corporation's.
What looked like a meaningless little jawb could land you Massive costumers if you play your cards right. I landed two here.
The work I took on here didn't amount to much but during the economic downturn we experienced back then, that work did help to keep me busy when machines were starting to sit and collect dust.
And as I said, the real pay-offs where the costumer's I picked-up and long term business relationships that were stuck up solely because we hooked up in this forum.
I never would have thought,,, very much like what some of you are expressing right now in this thread.
Cheers!

paulburkey

Glad to hear there is work and relationships found on this site. We are a San Jose based engineering company with spare CNC manufacturing capability at our factory in Shenzhen, China. Anybody who has long term jobs looking for a cost reduction would be happy with our pricing and quality.
If interested call Paul 209-221-9013

davidy

I posted up here many years ago in order to find a shop that produces quality work. I ended up going with a guy on the East Coast(I'm from California) and it was a great experience. Ended up sending him pretty much all my work until about a month ago. He's run into an issue and while I wish him the best, I need to find someone else to fill in until he gets back on his feet.

I think a lot of people are similar to me where once they find one good manufacturer, they stick with them and probably never come back, because why risk it on an unknown when you know the previous guy did amazing work?

I also agree that there are probably a lot of one-time small jobs here, which should be fine for people who just need fill-in work during slow seasons.

Anyways, just want to say don't get discouraged. Quality work speaks for itself and for the record, I would never consider sending work overseas. Not trying to disparage any European or Asian machinists here, but communication can not be an issue when you're dealing with someone online. Clear, concise English is a huge plus!

IndianCreekGary

David,

We are a contract manufacturer in SW Idaho, feel free to shoot me an email at gary@icdproducts.com if you are looking for fill-ins until your "go to" shop comes back online, and who knows, maybe you'll be just as pleased if not moreso!

Cheers-

Davidy,

I am sorry to hear that your vendor has came across some issues. I am the Marketing Manger for Abe-Tec Manufacturing in Cincinnati, OH. We are a family owned and operated business and pride ourselves in developing great long term relationships with just a few trusted companies. We are in the process of finding a few more businesses to work with. Please check out our website and contact me if you have any questions or you would like to receive a quote.

Web: www.abetecmanufacturing.com
Email: nick.jodymarketing@gmail.com

Thanks,
Nick

tony limon

Davidy, I would like consider my company in order to make all your tooling requirements we are located in Toronto Ontario Canada and we haveextensive experience in the manufacture fixtures gauges and high precision components for the automotive electronic package and food industry. Thanks Tony Limon
MEDUSA TECHNOLOGIES INC. (tonylimon@msn.com)

Dualkit

I no longer have a machining center, I just parted it out, I noticed a couple things. Most mill work unless intricate 5 axis work goes for dirt cheap here. I quit wasting my time bidding. Oddly I found I could bid triple hourly on simple Swiss Screw Machine jobs that I would bid on 3 axis mill work. I would get a few of the Swiss jobs and none of the mill work. Also unless you are a thief or willing to give away material don't waste your time bidding on low volume work with a high cost of material to final value. I got feedback on pricing on a few of those jobs and many went USA based for material costs. Pretty sure it was someone borrowing from their day job or someone thinking if a piece of stock sat unused for years why not give it to the customer. I think the economy for us is horrible right now, I gauge that by how many new members pop up here looking for work and how many large shops are looking for work here.

Status
Not open for further replies.