Lathe RFQ 400/800 pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff3

Way low

$0.785 each for 800. breaks down to this $0.30 material. So that leaves $0.485 each for 800 pcs. That is $388.00 to run the job. If screw machine is used a cam has to be made. They run $100 to $300 (I'm told) so that leaves say $288.00 to do the job 1 hour setup time, say $50.00. Now we are down to $238.00 to run 800 pcs. If each part takes lets say 3 min. run time. Now that is 13 hours and 20 minutes. Less clean up, washing, and packaging. That is running your job at $17.89 an hour.

Just a thought.

Question Boy

Jeff3,

I'm not going to try to convince you of anything, just letting you in on a couple of things.

The guys I spoke with said that a B&S style machine would be a pain to setup for a job like this, and the qty wouldn't warrant that approach, but a CNC screw machine would be simple.

I don't think you're getting a good price on material.

My rinky-dink 17 year old vocational CNC trainer lathe can drop that part in 1:15 (less tapping), and that includes me opening the chuck (with a key), pulling the stock to the stop, closing the chuck and hitting cycle start. And, that's running a program written by me, and I know squat about machining. I'd expect a modern swiss screw machine, programmed by someone who makes a living at this sort of thing could make the part in much less time. I don't know where you came up 3 minutes.

Anyone else has anything to add please direct it to the efficient folks at Oregon Screw Machine Products Inc.

QB

Jeff3

Question Boy

Sorry to have touched a nerve. I think it is great you got such a good price.
Yes my material was a bit high. I looked it up in one of the catalogs and added shipping. If I could bundle that amount with a few other things and order it from one of the big boys I could get it for $0.18 to $0.25 cent each.

If you look back at the other posts, you see that there is a big price difference between everyone else and the company you gave the order to.

As for the run time. It is looking at the whole job. I'm sure if I went to my machine and programmed it to do the job, I would get a better time. Not much better but still better. After running a few pieces I'm sure I could tune it even better. Your saying a 1:15 to turn the one side. Remember you have to pick it out of the machine, wipe it off, stick it back in the machine, drill it, counter bore it, tap it, then remove it. And also remember, if you don't have a bar feeder you have to saw the material. That costs you even more time.

The reason I wrote what I did was to try to be helpful. I know that at times when I loose a job from some of my regular customers, it is because someone came around and gave them at a too good of a price. It is because of a few different reason. New shop, shop needs work to keep from laying off employees, trying to win over a company hoping they will become a no bid vendor.

Jeff

Question Boy

No blood, no foul

Jeff,

My local supplier sells a 12 foot length of .375 6061 for $12.00. A 12' bar makes at least 100 of these parts for a material cost of ~.12 cents/ea. Add $30 for the time and gas it takes me to pick it up, and I'm still well under your cost. I don't have a bar feeder, so I have to cut them down to 2' lengths, which takes me maybe 10 minutes to do 8 bars.

I'm saying 1:15 less tapping and deburring. The part comes off the lathe needing only a quick deburring on the holes, and tapping. Both holes are drilled in the lathe, there is no counterboring. While the lathe is in process I'm knocking the burr off each end hole with a single flute 90 degree countersink mounted in the drill press, then sticking it in the H/V 5C fixture on the mill and tapping it with a tapmatic head. It's easy for me to do all the second ops while staying well ahead of the lathe. I've never worked in a machine shop so I assumed that an experienced shop would be able to beat my cost easily.

Maybe your bid would have been lower, knowing these things?

cncmedcom

just an addition to this conversation

I made ten of these parts before my quote. Material cost i was given by my supplier was $0.012 per part. First opp cycle time was 1min 28sec. Second opp was 36 sec. time to write prog and and set tools was 1 hour. no deburring necessary. This was my first quote done on rfq so i went to this extent to compare prices. $0.785 is a very good quote. Maybe not for the manufacturer but for the customer. There is still a profit to be made here but its not a great deal. Anyway congrats to the machine shop who won the quote. Maybe its just the competitive atmosphere of just winning the job regardless of profit. Attatched is a pic of my parts. anyway If your parts are only suitable for the end of your fishing line then you know where to find quality.:)

Attachments

• RFQ%20004.pdf
    47.5 KB · Views: 102

AMW

I'd like to start by thanking "questionboy" for the opportunity to quote his RFQ and also for having the courtesy to notify us that the job has been awarded so that we won't be wondering what the status of it is like many posters of RFQs do in these forums "Thank you questionboy" ( We @ AMW look forward to quoting on future opportunities from you! )

NOW: I'd like to say that I agree with "cncmedcom" on everything that he said in his reply! We @ AMW came in $0.05 higher than the winning bid and we quoted off of a Swiss Lathe with a Bar Feeder, we do not have any Screw Machines, so, everyone that is wondering if the price was legit. I say it is, so get over it!:D

Once more, thank you question boy and keep posting your RFQs

Status
Not open for further replies.