Need help! Spindle keeps stalling out???

Status
Not open for further replies.

COTTRELL

COTTRELL
Hello all! I have a Haas SL20T lathe. I am trying to take a .050" deep face cut a piece of Freemax 45 material, (which I have never used before) and it keeps stalling out the spindle. I am using an RPM of 200, (only because I have an 8" chuck and am clamped on a piece of material that is 10.25" in diameter using aluminum pie jaws) and my feed rate is .009". I have tried everything I can think of from slowing down the spindle... speeding the spindle up.... to even playing with the feeds as well and so far all I have been able to accomplish is this feeling of a major kick in the groin.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions of what to try?

Thanks in advance!

Briscoe

Hey dude

I think your best bet is a smaller cut- that is if you haven't tried that already.

btw- I don't think you are suppose to post stuff like that here. This is for rfq's only please?

I've been looking to buy a haas lathe. You mostly happy with yours?

Brad

APPEQUIP

Tried that...

I tried a smaller cut and still got the same results. We bought our Haas brand new and have had nothing but problems out of it.

justice25

Ultimate Tool & Die Inc.
We have a SL30 and a TL2 and have not had any problems, I would contact them and see what the problem may be. They have always been very heplful and on top of things for us.

runner4404spd

i think your below your minimum spindle rpm. torque falls off on these lower end motors so you can't run 50 rpm. you need to speed up your cut and take a smaller pass. even with an 8" chuck you should be able to spin it higher than 200 rpm.

RPMfg

You might check the belts. First make sure they are tight and not slipping. Also that they are clean. This could cause slippage.
Hope this helps

Hello all! I have a Haas SL20T lathe. I am trying to take a .050" deep face cut a piece of Freemax 45 material, (which I have never used before) and it keeps stalling out the spindle. I am using an RPM of 200, (only because I have an 8" chuck and am clamped on a piece of material that is 10.25" in diameter using aluminum pie jaws) and my feed rate is .009". I have tried everything I can think of from slowing down the spindle... speeding the spindle up.... to even playing with the feeds as well and so far all I have been able to accomplish is this feeling of a major kick in the groin.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions of what to try?

Thanks in advance!

You need to use a bigger machine before you kill yourself with the big work piece flying out of control across the room. The Haas's are direct drive and and at the low RPM you do not have enough torque. You should be able to take .1 at about 2800 RPM it sounds like a machine gun when the chips hit the glass!!! Try taking only a few thousands at a time and you should be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.