RFQ 4.5 inch dia 303ss

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew

Prototype/R&D
I need a quote on some round parts that need both lathe and mill work.

I have attached a file that contains specifications for 2 parts that fit together.

Material needs to be 303 or 304 stainless steel.

I need 5 of each part.

Thanks,

Andrew
kn6za@hotmail.com

Attachments

• TITLE BLOCK.DXF
    243 KB · Views: 98
Chris,

How can you quote this job for $45.00/ea. when 303 material is going to run around $35-$38 per unit? I have good sources for less expensive material but there is no way I could even come close to a figure like that. THere's quite a bit of material to be removed from that larger piece and even in my CNC lathe that price is un-touchable. The only way possible for me would be to have material laying around that has already been paid for by another customer. This is what I find to be most difficult about this site. Extremely low ball quotes. How do you guys do it? Just curious.

PrecisionPlus

Hello guys
I have been machining for 20 + years and I am very confident in my quotes in time ,material and delivery. I am not low balling anything I bid. I just call it as I see it, keep in mind that everyones overhead is different . Good luck to every one.

kochevnik

I'm going to comment here too - on the RFQ's for my parts - I'm getting quite a range, even from one part to the other from the same company - i.e. company 1 has a good price for one part and is way way off for another. And keep in mind my parts are the same material. And I know what the material costs are for my parts because I have had to buy the material myself and I never made as many at one time as I am going to buy from my RFQ's.

Let's face it, on these jobs there's really only a few variables :

a) material cost
b) time needed to mill the parts (dependent on tooling, mill used, setups, skill levels)
c) basic shop rate (covers overhead)

If you look at my first RFQ, the material cost is pretty much insignificant - I pay as low as 12 cents for one of my #1 RFQ parts, altho I get a very good deal, figure even double that price and it's still way less than 10 percent of the total cost of the RFQ.

I would have thought that material cost would be the least variable of the costs, but that's not what I am seeing. It might be interesting to compare notes on some basic hypothetical part (in a new thread - don't mean to hijack this one) to see where the differences lie ?

PrecisionPlus

Rfq

OK The material cost 4.25 per pound aprox. weight (4.5 o.d.x min. lenght approx. 10 inch = cost per part +% for profit on material = cost of part this is how I arrive at part cost .Please stop with this typing and use a phone if you really want a product made at a very true and reasonable price. CALL 480-204-3438 I CAN GET IT DONE.

C&L Precision

I figure material at about $15.00 each if I had to go buy it just for this job.

I could do it for $45.00/ea also, but I couldn't do it in a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.