Request For Quote- RFQ Probe tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

895isp

Wildhorse Innovations
RFQ for probe tips.

Material to be provided by your shop.

Please quote 25, 50 and 100 pieces, FOB your shop.

RFQ will be open for no more than 14 days.

Recurring job.

Drawing at www.mypage.net/images/ProbeTip.pdf

Be glad to upload the drawing to this site if "Manage Attachments" function didn't keep failing on both a PDF and a DXF file. (Both files are within size limitations.) Guess I wasn't holding my tongue right. But don't let this lame site keep you from quoting the job.

Dualkit

Are you going to want these hardened? I also suggest you specify material, c32 is on the hard side, harder than your common tool steels. Most materials would require hardening to reach c32.

895isp

Wildhorse Innovations
C32 was a somewhat arbitrary standard in this case. Our concern is abrasion on the surface of the spherical tip. Unless used in a manner outside the design parameters the tip will not encounter forces beyond an ounce or so. Most contact with other materials will be a touch and retreat, although some "sliding" contact may be experienced.

Contact might be with virtually any material that will hold a reasonably fixed form (styrofoam, concrete, aluminum, hardened steel, etc.).

895isp

Wildhorse Innovations
We can accept A-2 for at least the first order. We'll run some real world tests to see if it's acceptable for the long run.

Another option, although one I would like to avoid, is to offer 2 grades of probe, one for "normal" activity, another for particularly abrasive activity. "Normal" would probably meet the needs of 90% of our customers.

895isp

Wildhorse Innovations
Regarding 440a stainless. I didn't research it thoroughly, but at first glance it looks OK.

Here's some more information. Our current tip is about 16c. We have a few customers who are having problems with accuracy that can be traced to wear on the tip. We sell a ruby tip that solves most of the problems, but it's very pricey.

Since it's time to renew our contract, we are seeking to improve the probe tip without busting the budget.

Hope this information helps with the bidding.

895isp

Wildhorse Innovations
We have had a suggestion for an alternate way to make this item. It might be useful to some of you wishing to bid.

Use a ground SS ball, 1/8" diameter. Drill the ball for a press fit on the 0.060" end of the shaft.

This would meet our needs and might be easier for some of you than machining the precision ball tip.

This might actually become a preferred method in that it would allow us to offer different size tips while reducing stocking requirements.

Dualkit

Making it 2 piece is too much time, I have a machine that can make it in one piece easily, just have to work up a bid. Just did some research 17-4 condition A fits your RC requirements it comes in at 36 and can be hardened into the high 40's. 440 is way too soft unless heat treated.

Status
Not open for further replies.