Request For Quote- Small Part Repeat work

Status
Not open for further replies.

millman52

Direct questions & quote to mullinsmachining@hotmail.com

Please quote (100) pieces, (will take overruns to use full bar of stock).

Please include seperate shipping quote to ZIP 25164.

Bid will close 10/30/2009

Material: Use any cold rolled mild steel 1018, 1045 etc.

Please give lead time

Attachments

• MM-5035.dxf
    40.5 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

Dualkit

Thread relief or thread as close to the 1.500 diameter as possible? Also what is the tolerance on the 1.500 diameter, if at least -.010 a person could use 1 1/2 diameter rod to save money by not using the next size up. Also are you going to provide ring gauges or will threading to a standard nut be ok?

rowdy

Update

Millman,

Did you get your job awarded?

Care to give some feedback on the bids you got (minus names) ?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks

Rowdy

Dualkit

Millman,

Did you get your job awarded?

Care to give some feedback on the bids you got (minus names) ?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks

Rowdy

I will bet you lunch he doesn't answer, as he never answered pertinent questions regarding the rfq he posted.

millman52

First I want to thank everyone for their bid & time involved it took to submit.

There were 48 bids submitted for this part, ranging from $2.20 to $16.28. About 1/2 fell in the $3.00 - $5.00 range freight included. Several more fell in the same range but freight quotes from $50.00-$100.00.

Some of you may be interested to know that most out of country bids were in the 4-5 $ range & freight then of course was a killer.

Bid was awarded in the $4.00 area.

If I missed answering anyones question(s) that specifically sent them to the email address listed in my very first post I apologize. I had a death in the family which demanded I be out of town for a few days during the bidding process. Again If I missed answering questions, I AM SORRY. I'll admit I was flooded with email & it did get a bit overwhelming under the circumstances.

Posting items for bid is a new experience for me so I am also in a learning curve here. I have a much better grasp of what is needed from me in my very first post & on the print(s). I didn't even think of getting foreign bids. Future requests will be limited to US & Canada

Last edited:

Dualkit

First I want to thank everyone for their bid & time involved it took to submit.

There were 48 bids submitted for this part, ranging from $2.20 to $16.28. About 1/2 fell in the $3.00 - $5.00 range freight included. Several more fell in the same range but freight quotes from $50.00-$100.00. When USPS will ship 70# in a flat rate box including insurance anywhere in the US for under $15.00

Some of you may be interested to know that most out of country bids were in the 4-5 $ range & freight then of course was a killer.

Bid was awarded in the $4.00 area.

If I missed answering anyones question(s) that specifically sent them to the email address listed in my very first post I apologize. I had a death in the family which demanded I be out of town for a few days during the bidding process. Again If I missed answering questions, I AM SORRY. I'll admit I was flooded with email & it did get a bit overwhelming under the circumstances.

Posting items for bid is a new experience for me so I am also in a learning curve here. I have a much better grasp of what is needed from me in my very first post & on the print(s). I didn't even think of getting foreign bids. Future requests will be limited to US & Canada

That is the exact cost of what UPS or Fedex charge, no one was marking that up. Their service covers step by step tracking and full insurance for that price. If your shipment was lost or damaged by USPS the shipper would end up out of luck. No one with any extensive shipping history would trust the post office, their cut rate prices are not worth the risk. You make your statement like someone was trying to make money off of a shipping mark up, they were not. No legitimate shop would let the customer dictate shipping terms while assuming all risk for the shipment. If someone caved to your demands of low cost risky shipping, they took a major gamble. They will either learn from their mistakes, or not be in business a year from now.
Unlike what people seem to think these days, cheaper is not always better.

millman52

That is the exact cost of what UPS or Fedex charge, no one was marking that up. Their service covers step by step tracking and full insurance for that price. If your shipment was lost or damaged by USPS the shipper would end up out of luck. No one with any extensive shipping history would trust the post office, their cut rate prices are not worth the risk. You make your statement like someone was trying to make money off of a shipping mark up, they were not. No legitimate shop would let the customer dictate shipping terms while assuming all risk for the shipment. If someone caved to your demands of low cost risky shipping, they took a major gamble. They will either learn from their mistakes, or not be in business a year from now.
Unlike what people seem to think these days, cheaper is not always better.

OK OK Way off topic here. I edited my previous post.

I merely responded to a request by Rowdy.

I made no demands other than freight be included on the bid.

It is entirely up to you to decide how to ship. It's entirely up to me to decide if I can pay the final price.

Dualkit

Don't try to dance out of what you were stating. You were implying that anyone who quoted more than $15 for shipping was trying to rip you off. Just for example, someone quotes the USPS rate of $15, and ships that method, and the parts are damaged or lost. The post office is NOT going to pay for the loss.
Just do a little googling and you can find out what happens when flat rate boxes don't get to their destination, it is never the fault of USPS.
Who covers the loss? The machine shop that gambled on the unsecured shipping is responsible. If they are foolish enough to allow you to dictate shipping terms, while they assume the risk, they are either desperate, or noobs to the business world. I seriously doubt you will establish a mutually beneficial relationship, but I wish you all the luck.

bobk

Dualkit,
You are absolutely correct in what your stating. I always ship parts with insurance and if a customer is not willing to support me in trying to establish a quality transaction that is best for both of our interest then they are not worth working with. Just think if your parts are lost the supplier has to pay twice and with that, chances are they will not do the job again due to the loss. So, it is in the purchaser's best interest to help with the insurance or the purchaser won't get their parts. Think before you ship!

rowdy

Follow Up

Millman,

Sorry to hear about your loss...

Thanks for coming back and updating. It really does help.
And it lets me know that we who actually looked up
material costs, shipping costs, and other(programing,
setup, run-time) that it was not wasted due to bid
shopping or other such things.

To others, I was one of the ones that emailed millman
on questions on his job. He answered me fairly quickly.

Good Day All.

Rowdy

Status
Not open for further replies.